One of the common themes in the
Harry Potter series is the typical “coming of age” story. The reader
experiences Harry’s growth from a sad child to a brave young man. However,
Harry’s “coming of age” story is unique in the sense that he has to come into so
much. When Harry grew up with the Dursleys, he was treated as a worthless
child. In The Chamber of Secrets, for example, when the Dursleys have guests
they don’t want to include Harry at all.
“Then he [Uncle Vernon] rounded on
Harry. “And you?”
“I'll be in my
bedroom, making no noise and pretending I'm not there,” said Harry tonelessly,”
(Rowling, 10).
However, in the widzarding world,
Harry realizes that he is “The Boy Who Lived”. Almost everyone knows and adores
him. This is clearly a large adjustment for Harry that it takes years for him
to get used to. Furthermore, this provides an interesting emotional reaction
from the reader. Harry is an outcast that grows into greatness. If the reader
also feels like an outcast, they can feel inspired by Harry and his ever
expanding bravery.
I think that is why the Harry
Potter series has touched such a wide variety of readers. The series celebrates
many different kinds of outcasts. As a young child, I did not have too many
friends because I frankly preferred reading to talking and playing. When I read
The Sorcerer’s Stone for the first time, I was inspired by Hermione Granger.
She was able to make friends and save her friends by the knowledge she gained
through reading. I wanted to be the heroine in a similar way.
As I am re-reading the first two
Harry Potter books, I am happily remembering by how inspired I was by Hermione
and the rest of the characters. I have gained a new appreciation for Harry for
dealing with abuse and Ron for dealing with the shadow of the large Weasley
family. I am pleased about all the outcast people all over the world who can
relate to these characters.
You discussed a topic that I personally think is one of the most literary elements in Rowling's writing -- the "coming of age". I sometimes think of it as this extreme time of going through puberty for Harry, where his entire life is flipped upside down. Being the age that we, and our fellow classmates, are made us able to live life during the same times that Harry was during his life in the series, which made it such a relatable story if you read them as they were being published (which it sounds like you did!) As he is "coming of age", so were many of the story's readers, which I believe makes your chosen genre even bigger.
ReplyDeleteYou discussed a topic that I personally think is one of the most literary elements in Rowling's writing -- the "coming of age". I sometimes think of it as this extreme time of going through puberty for Harry, where his entire life is flipped upside down. Being the age that we, and our fellow classmates, are made us able to live life during the same times that Harry was during his life in the series, which made it such a relatable story if you read them as they were being published (which it sounds like you did!) As he is "coming of age", so were many of the story's readers, which I believe makes your chosen genre even bigger.
ReplyDelete