In
thinking about my response to the first two volumes of the Harry Potter series, I must reach back several years: I was first
introduced to the magical world at the age of seven. When visiting family, my
aunt showed me the books and let me borrow her copies of The Sorcerer’s Stone and The
Chamber of Secrets. That night, my dad began reading the first book to my
brother and I, and I was immediately hooked.
The
reason I give this preface is to paint a picture of what that time was like for
me: the day that my aunt gave me the Harry
Potter books was roughly a week before my family and I moved to our new
house—I was about to start second grade in a new city at a new school. I
discovered the magical world as I discovered my new house and new life in
Fairfield, Ohio.
The
idea of the portal-quest fantasy reminds me of my first responses to Harry Potter. I associate those first
two books with my new beginning in my new house. As I reread, I am struck by the
enchanting nature of the first few chapters of each book. Those resonate most
strongly with me, particularly “The Boy Who Lived” and “The Keeper of the
Keys.” Rowling opens with the portal-esque experience of Harry being dropped in
his new life with the Dursleys, “…not knowing he was special, not knowing he
was famous, not knowing that he would be woken in a few hours’ time by Mrs.
Dursley’s scream…” (Rowling 17). We as readers also see Harry venture into the
portal that takes him back to the wizarding world with Hagrid when he comes to
tell him, “…yer a wizard” (Rowling 50). When Hagrid reveals Harry’s hidden past
to him, I could sense that (even as a seven-year old) I was about to be plunged
into a new world for an adventure along with Harry.
Mystery
is the other genre I feel most strongly when responding to the first two books.
Being a young child, I didn’t pick up on the more subtle cues in each book, so
I took everything at surface value. I was in awe when I discovered that
Quirrell was the one in league with Voldemort, not Snape. Rowling’s careful
misleading tone (making it seem as though Snape and Malfoy are the villains in
each respective book) makes for a twisting, turning, mysterious tale that
engulfs the reader (especially when the reader is a young child). When Rowling
says, “Harry couldn’t take it in. This couldn’t be true, it couldn’t,” that’s
exactly how I felt as my dad narrated the story (Rowling 288). I was also
equally impressed when, in Chamber of
Secrets, Rowling reveals that Tom Marvolo Riddle (a seemingly insignificant
secondary character) is actually Lord Voldemort (or “I am Lord Voldemort,” to
be precise). Each Harry Potter novel
comes to an equally astounding climax, and Rowling’s writing in the genre of
mystery is phenomenal to me now—just as much as it was when I was a child
picking up the books for the first time.
I agree with you, and nice story to connect with the book.
ReplyDelete