One of the biggest generic conventions Rowling uses that
draws me to all of her books is romanticism. The genre of romanticism has the
themes of getting away from civilization and back to nature. In books 1 and 2
we see this theme in numerous ways, one of the biggest being the wizarding
school of Hogwarts. We learn that Hogwarts is in a remote location, next to the
Forbidden Forest, away from “normal” civilization. We learn that even though
wizards and witches have magical capabilities, every student arrives to the
school on the same classic steam engine, called the Hogwarts Express. At the
school, the students dine together in a great hall, there are paintings on the
walls, and huge moving staircases. When I first read the series as a kid I
never critically thought about all of these details, but I realize now that
these were conscious choices made by Rowling to create a romantic wizarding
world. The choice to have the school be in an ancient castle was conscious, to
give it character and history and the kind of charm that’s not possible with
something more modern. She could have chosen Hogwarts to be a modern, bewitched
building in the middle of London, but by instead playing up the romanticism of
Hogwarts, readers feel like they are being let into a different, enchanting
world away from our own.
Another aspect of the series that I never thought about when
first reading them is how they fall under the “coming of age” genre. I can
really appreciate the beauty of this now, because I truly did grow up with
Harry. I first heard the books on tape when I was a first grader. By third
grade my friends and I would act out scenes from the books on the playground.
Even when we were older, we’d go to the midnight showings of the new movies,
dressed as the characters. I think because I grew up so close to Harry I never
realized how much of a coming of age story it is, but I think it’s a really
important part of the series. Although Harry grew up with the Dursley’s and had
little respect, Hogwarts gives him a chance to have a place that feels like
home with people who are supportive. Harry’s good character and heroic
abilities despite growing up with an awful family give hope that it is never
too late to have a better life, and that the quality of our lives lies in our
choices. Or as Dumbledore puts it, “It is our choices that show what we truly are,
far more than our abilities.”
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.