Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Blog #3

When I was reading the Deathly Hallows for the first time, I was constantly in awe. There were plotlines and small moments that were just coming together from books that were written years before this, and it just astounded me that Rowling was able to connect things that well. I’m not sure how much she thought ahead, I’m sure she did a bit, but I wouldn’t be surprised if some of it she just connected as she went. A couple of things that stood out to me is the situation with the graveyard in Godric’s Hollow and the Percival brothers, how Dumbledore also grew up in Godric’s Hollow (where Harry was born and his parents murdered). There’s also plenty of foreshadowing that really blew me away, along with many subtle things that I probably didn’t catch. There’s a segment where Harry is trying to explain dementors to Vernon, and he is struggling but Petunia explains what they are. When she does, she says that “awful” boy told “her” about them years ago. At the time, Harry must’ve thought it was about his father telling his mother. He later finds out in the penseive that it was really a young Snape telling Lily.


Overall, Deathly Hallows is definitely my favorite book of the series. I thought it ended well and I was happy about the conversation Harry had with Dumbledore in “limbo” or whatever you want to call it; it was a nice bit of closure. I mentioned this above but I really liked the way things came together in the series. Hearing Dumbledore’s backstory was also something that I enjoyed. I would love for Rowling to write a book about his life as a young wizard. It was interesting seeing Harry's reactions as he learned Dumbledore wasn't a perfect person, similar to when he learned about the way his father treated Snape.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.