For me, the 7th book was a
great conclusion to the series. It answered all of the questions and made all
of the characters seem really well rounded. Dumbledore’s character really
changed and evolved a lot during the last book. My feelings towards him changed
a lot, too.
Throughout the series, Dumbledore
seemed like an amazing wizard. He was wise and always ten steps ahead of
everyone. He was kind to everyone and treated everyone the same. He never
treated Harry like he was a silly little boy. He treated him with a lot of
respect and believed in him. But as the series went on, he seemed to grow more
distant and hide more secrets from Harry. By the fifth book, he was blatantly
ignoring Harry. By the sixth, he was hiding things from Harry and not fully
explaining himself. By the time I got to the seventh book, I was unsure as to
who Dumbledore really was. Everything about him came into question during the
eulogy and Rita Skeeter’s book. Harry kept finding more and more big secrets
about Dumbledore, and at one point I wasn’t even sure if he had actually
defeated Grindewald or not. It seemed like maybe he wasn’t any of the things he
seemed to be when he was alive. Then the big moment that confirmed everything I
was afraid of came when Harry was looking into the pensieve at Snape’s memories
in book seven. During this, we find out that Dumbledore knew Harry was a
Horcrux and that he would have to die in the end. That really changed my
viewpoint of Dumbledore because it showed him as heartless and like he didn’t
actually care about Harry. Talking to Snape, he said, “But this is touching,
Severus. Have you grown to care for the boy, after all?” (687). This really
made him seem completely heartless. Snape is astounded that Dumbledore
seemingly raised him “like a pig for slaughter” (687). And yet Dumbledore doesn’t
show emotion to this. He’s more astounded that Snape actually cares. After
this, it was hard not to hate Dumbledore.
After all this heartbreak, the scene
that brought Dumbledore back to reality was the scene after Harry dies by
Voldemort’s hand and Harry meets Dumbledore at King’s Cross. This scene brought
back the Dumbledore that I knew and loved in the beginning of the series. It
showed that Dumbledore couldn’t love Harry more and was constantly worried
about him. He did everything to help him because he knew what his fate would be.
He was brave. He made mistakes. He was human. It really made Dumbledore seem so
much more of a man who wasn’t perfect but who was amazing. It made me believe
in him again.
This is my first time reading the
books, and so I saw the movies first, in theaters of course. When I saw the
last Harry Potter, I was thoroughly impressed. My first impression was that
that was the perfect ending. When I first saw the scene where Harry goes to
sacrifice himself, I was deeply disappointed because the whole series I was
waiting for the big showdown between Harry and Voldemort. And so when they went
to battle again, it was amazing. Everything was done so well and I was so
impressed. But I wasn’t nearly as impressed as I was when I read the books
because there is so much more to the series and so many more questions that are
answered.
Overall, Dumbledore went from one of
my favorite characters, to one of the most heartbreaking villains, to one of
the best characters in the series. It was a long journey with a lot of
unanswered questions that I honestly didn’t think would ever be answered. But
by the end of the series, I was glad they were answered and I loved the answers
I was given. The end of this book was the perfect ending in my opinion.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.