I have mixed feelings about the end of the Harry Potter series. I think many
characters developed a great deal in Deathly
Hallows (such as Snape, Dumbledore, Neville, and Harry himself) but not all
of this development was positive.
For
instance, Deathly Hallows revealed how complicated Dumbledore’s past really
was. I enjoyed this in the sense that it added complexities to Dumbledore’s
character but it disappointed me in the sense that it personally tainted
Dumbledore’s relationship with Harry for me. There is no question that
Dumbledore cares about Harry but it can be argued that Dumbledore cared about
the “greater good” more. Dumbledore manipulated Harry into essentially becoming
a solider against Voldemort. Even Snape seemed disgusted by this because he declares
that Dumbledore was “raising him like a pig for slaughter” (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,
ch. 33). If even Snape is appalled at someone’s treatment of Harry, then that
treatment must be pretty bad.
Still,
I found the development of Harry himself to be quite sweet. Harry has been
through so much strife in his life that it was rewarding to see him finally succeed.
Harry didn’t get the chance to have his blood family but he still readily sacrificed
his life so no more of his chosen family did not have to die. Harry seemed so
afraid when he asked the images of his parents what death was like but he still
walked to his death anyway. He truly grew into a brave man.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.