I am an English major so
I have found the Harry Potter books
very relevant to my studies. In the English department, you learn how to
analyze text and how text influences culture. I have learned how to analyze
literary characters through their dialogue and action. This information has
helped me better understand the Harry Potter series.
For example, when I first
read in Harry Potter and The Order of The
Phoenix, I was very frustrated with the character of Cho Chang. I
understood that she was sad but I did not understand some of the lashing out
that she did, such as supporting Marietta Edgecombe or being jealous of Harry
and Hermione when there is no romantic interest between them. I understand
character analysis more now so I am more sympathetic toward Cho. Cho’s sadness
was simply an undercurrent of her loneliness. Her boyfriend died and the only
person who was there when he died (Harry) wouldn’t talk to her about it.
However, Harry did talk
to Hermione. Harry does not see Hermione as a romantic interest but he supports
her in a way that he never supported Cho. Plus, Marietta remained Cho’s friend
in a time when very few supported her. I would want to defend a friend like
that if I was in Cho’s situation as well.
The study of literature
teaches one to look at characters more objectively. Instead of thinking about
if you like the character or not, you think about the character’s actions
impact the overall view of the story. I like Cho Chang more now because I can
more objectively understand how she got swept up in the traumatic events in the
Harry Potter world.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.